NYC parents boycotting the state tests ask other parents to join them
Like in Puerto Rico, Standardized testing has become an great barrier to actual student education and actual teacher development. The NYC Public School Parents blog has published an excellent open letter to parents of New York City students to ask them to boycott the standardized tests, with five main points that reflect the why standarized testing is bad for education:
- Testing is dumbing down our schools.
- Testing is unduly stressful for young children.
- Using test scores to grade teachers hurts the most vulnerable students.
- High-stakes tests force teachers to adopt bad teaching practices.
- Standardized tests are a waste of public money.
To read the full letter and an further explanation of these points, click this text to see the full text of the open letter to boycott standardized testing.